Monday, April 27, 2009

Book review: Why we want you to be rich by Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump


Why we want you to be rich (Two men, One message) – Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump

Synopsis:
Robert Kiyosaki (author of Rich Dad Poor Dad) teams up with Donald Trump to explain the financial problems the US will face in the future and why you need to be part of the solution rather than the problem. Both men explain the problems associated with the ageing population and the lack of financial education most people have. They believe many people have an ‘entitlement mentality’ where they expect other people to take care of them whether it is the government or employers. They explain that everybody needs to learn to take care of themselves.
The book then continues in explaining the qualities successful people have and the many avenues you can pursue to become rich. They discuss influencing factors that helped them become successful and offer general advice for people in different situations.

What I gained from reading this book:
I am a fan of Donald Trump and Robert Kiyosaki. I have read other books by them (that I have reviewed) so I like their style of writing. For me, this book was a great motivational tool to help me get started on my ideas. The issues they discuss at the start of the book were the same issues my economics lecturers would discuss so I found it very interesting.
I think of this book as a transcript of an interview with both authors. The tone of the writing is very conversational and I enjoy it that way. I enjoyed reading about their life experiences and how other people influenced them. This book gave me plenty of things to think about.
I liked this book, but not as much as other books by the authors. The content in this book overlaps considerably with other books written by the same authors. For those who haven’t read any of Robert or Donald’s books before, this is fine. But for those who have read their other books, there is very little here that is new. For me it was still an interesting read.

Positives:
If you like Donald Trump or Robert Kiyosaki and their writing styles, this book is enjoyable and interesting. Their concerns with the current and future economic problems are important for everybody to understand.
If you want to hear the two men’s opinions on finance, success and the current and future economic problems, you may enjoy this book.

Negatives:
If you don’t like Donald Trump or Robert Kiyosaki or their writing styles, you will probably hate this book. The book rated 3 out of 5 stars by Amazon reviewers so many people obviously didn’t like this book. If you are looking for specific advice on how to get rich, this book isn’t for you. They don’t explain a set formula to follow, instead they explain what type of person you need to be. If you are looking for specific advice, there are plenty of other books on the topic.

Recommended for: People interested in Donald Trump or Robert Kiyosaki
Many of the books I review are so good that I strongly believe everybody should read them. This book isn’t one of those. I know that many people will not like this book.
If you like reading what these two men have to say (like me) then I recommend this book for you. If the very mention of the name Trump frustrates you, don’t read it. I’m finding it hard to recommend this book to a certain group because of the mixed reviews on Amazon. If you are curious in reading this book, understand that I honestly enjoyed it and go over to Amazon to hear what other people had to say.

Genre: Success

Overall rating: 6 out of 10 stars


Australians can buy the book by clicking the picture below:

Why We Want You to Be Rich: Two Men - One Message [With DVD]

Where to from here:
As this book gives you ‘food for thought’ rather than exact methods and strategies, you will probably want to read a ‘how-to’ book on investing. I have not reviewed any detailed investment books yet so go ahead and search Amazon for one if you wish. If you find a good one, please let me know so I can look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment